poniedziałek, 2 czerwca 2014

LynchPyn - Our music speaks for us (Pangea Magazine June 2014)

photo Monika S. Jakubowska







photo Monika S. Jakubowska
Bogumił: LynchPyn was formed in May 2012. Also in May Luxforum – ever so important for Kred – emerged. In May “Can You Speak Now” has won Polisz Czart Chart List. Please accept our congratulations and wishes for further anniversaries and successes. Do you have a scenario of celebrations ready?

Justin: A BBQ probably, with beer and kielbassa lol

Paul: Yeah, kielbassa and Wodka haha

photo Monika S. Jakubowska
Kred: No, not yet, I’m too surprised

Patrick: I’m gonna get my mum drunk lol

Matt: Jump around with my t-shirt over my head

Sławek: You are the first British band who managed to the top of Polish Chart List in the UK. How does that feel?

Justin:  Totally awesome, we’re extremely proud to win with such talented musicians.

Justin Lloyd - voc (photo Monika S. Jakubowska)
Paul:  It’s pretty special to be welcomed so warmly by the Polish community.

Kred: I’m very surprised and happy.

Patrick: I feel very grateful and happy for the fans who voted for us.

Matt: Huh?

Bogumił: Paul, Justin – could you tell us about band’s early days; when, where and how LynchPyn was formed, you know each other for how long and finally: why LynchPyn instead of Linchpin?

Justin: Well, LynchPyn started as an idea because I wanted to bring decent songs to decent people so I decided to begin something new, where the lyrics became as important as the music, and where you could hear what the singer was actually singing. Then as the genesis that is LynchPyn evolved, I found other, like-minded people, such as Paul who understood the idea, and that’s how we met, as for the spelling, well I thought it would have more impact.

Paul:  yeah, what he said

Paul Cook – solo guitar (photo Monika S. Jakubowska)
Bogumił: Luis, your former drummer have named LynchPyn’s style as "Heavy Rock'n'Roll". Would you all agree with such term or would you rather use a different name?

Justin: No, I would say we are a melodic metal band

Paul:  Lead weighted beard metal

Kred: Yes we are heavy rock and roll but I'd like it heavier

Patrick: A hard rock band

Matt: Heavy rock man!

Sławek: Kred, we have met in January 2010. Back then you were playing in Salvadoran-Polish band ODC. A year later with Wojtek “Zombie” Dunaj – drummer of Arnika and Danny Pool – guitarist of Abbaden you have started “Kaloryfer”. Later you have joined Bright Colour Vision and finally you have ended up with LynchPyn. How do you perceive the development of your skills as musician over these years and what new has joining LynchPyn have brought for your musicianship?


Artur Kred Mielczarek – bass guitar, backing voc (photo Monika S. Jakubowska)
Kred: Every band I was honoured to join added new skills, not necessarily craft wise, as for LynchPyn: it’s my best time so far

Bogumił: In New Year’s Eve of 2012 your former bass player has left the band, supposedly Furi needed only 20 minutes to find you and from 1st of January 2013 you were official Lunchpyn’s bass player. Kaloryfer was spontaneous creation too. Is all of your life at such pace?

Kred: I like life at that pace, it was meant to be

Sławek: Matt, you are the newest band’s acquisition. You know the band how long for and what convinced you to join as their drummer?

Matt: I like the music, it’s very raw, and I just love playing with them.

Bogumił: Patrick, we are aware that this will not be an easy question. No doubts that you have felt huge responsibility to take Furi’s place on stage. After six months, how do you feel undertaking such task and how did you managed during such difficult time for the band?

Patrick: It was very strange at the beginning; such expectations and big shoes to fill, but I feel honoured to play in Furi’s place, and want to make sure the fans see that

Sławek: We all know how close Robert was to all of us as a person and a friend. Today we would like to ask about what Robert has brought to the band as a musician, author of riffs and rhythmic structure? How much of Robert is in your repertoire and what to Robert LynchPyn owes most?

Justin: At the beginning it was Furi who made my visions happen, he understood the music, and the ideas, He had the motivation to make things happen, and we became very close because of this, you could say that we transcended our nationalities: Polish/English, didn’t really matter, we just understood each other, and he was a driving force in LynchPyn.  

Paul: Certainly from the start Furi was integral to the sound of LynchPyn, and the songs he co-wrote will always be a part of the set

Robert Furi Furman (photo Monika S. Jakubowska)
Kred: Furi’s visions were the sound of the band, and will always be that way

Patrick: For the short time I knew him, he was driven and always there with fresh ideas and sounds

Sławek: Taking into account that “Can You Speak Now” which was recorded with Furi as the only one Polish musician, have won our Chart and Robert’s “Desquamo” have taken second place, it could be said that your community have paid tribute to the man, who at large was strength of LynchPyn. Robert has not only written “Desquamo”; he had prepared sketches of other tunes and lyrics for never recorded tracks. Will you ever use any of that?

Justin:  I would say for definite we will be looking at some of Furi’s unused pieces, he had a great many ideas.

Bogumił: Thanks to Furi and Kred as well as Wojtek and Misiek of Metasoma and multiple live shows for Polish audiences you should have by now set point of view on Polish national qualities and some knowledge about Polish Heavy Metal. What are the most distinctive qualities of Poles in your opinion? What do you admire and what annoys you in Polish people?

photo Monika S. Jakubowska
Justin:  My opinion and feelings towards the Polish community have strengthened and evolved constantly from the beginning, right till this point where I’m personally involved, you guys are cool and I love the food

Paul: We enjoy the company of all our fans, the Polish guys though, they know how to make you feel warm and welcome

Kred: I'm Polish, I can’t speak now

photo Monika S. Jakubowska
Patrick: I’m a big fan of Polish sausage

Bogumił: Furi once said that even though main structure of tracks was ready before Kred had joined the band, they have been significantly changed by his way of playing. What Artur’s bass brought to the sound of LynchPyn?

Justin:  The sound changed certainly, but its Kred’s stage presence that really shows LynchPyn

photo Monika S. Jakubowska
Sławek: Kred, what have you learned from your English band mates? Is there something that can be find in Brits only that defines so many giants of Rock in this country’s history?

Kred: Musically? Not much to be honest, I was deeply into music and musicianship since I was 19, so when I joined LynchPyn I believe I was already prepared for being a good LynchPyn member. But – to be honest – we all learn from each other every day, so I think there’s still lots to be discovered.

Sławek: You have shared stage with Luxtorpeda and KNZ. You have played with Litza, one of the most regarded Polish rock musicians. Have you heard of bands like Behemoth, KAT, TSA, Turbo and Acid Drinkers? How do you perceive Polish Metal?

Justin: Yeah, I’ve begun to listen to a few more Polish metal bands, now I’m learning the language

Guest appearance of Litza (photo Monika S. Jakubowska)
Paul: We were very lucky to play with such talented bands

Patrick: Did I say I liked Polish sausage?

Kred: Obviously I know all of them. I’m not really into Behemoth and KAT, they’re a bit too extreme for me. But Turbo, TSA, Acids, KNZ and – definitely – Luxtorpeda are ones of my favourite. I’m still trying to implement Polish metal on English soil, and sometimes I succeed. One of my English friends (hi, Tom!) said to me after seeing Acid Drinkers live: “Do Polish bands REALLY PLAY LIKE THAT?!”.

Bogumił: Kred, you have once said that you are being inspired by jazz bass players. Could you name your favourite ones and what skills you have gained from them?

Kred: Among jazz players I would definitely mention John Patitucci (I saw him live in Gdansk when I was ten or so, it was a massive experience), Marcus Miller, Jaco Pastorius, Stanley Clark, Wojciech Pilichowski and Krzysztof Ścierański.

photo Monika S. Jakubowska
But it doesn’t end here, there’s loads more, I am under influence of bassists who experiment with various genres. One of my most notable gurus are: Flea of RHCP, Billy Gould of Faith No More, Rex of Pantera, who played jazz before Pantera, Fieldy of Korn, whose heavy slapping I utterly love, and obviously Les Claypool of Primus, he’s a genius. Still one of my main stage influence is Jason Newsted. Skills learnt? I keep learning, mostly slap – that’s what I’m lacking.

photo Monika S. Jakubowska
Bogumił: ‘I have a wide spectrum of music starting from blues and modern jazz to heavier sounds like Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Faith No More, Fear Factory, Sepultura, Metallica’. These worlds you have said during an interview for Rebellion radio show last year. It is hard not to notice that among these bands there isn’t a single band from the UK but lots of sounds from California. What is the origin of it for you?

Kred: Well, it’s undisputed that Sabbath, Zeppelin and Purple and Maiden started it all. Add Sex Pistols to it and here we go – these are the roots. Everything else evolved from there. I’m more into newer stuff though, my first heavy-ish band was Faith No More, I listened to “Epic” on the radio and I went “What the heck is that?! Whatever, I dig it!”. That’s why I’ve stepped on Californian grounds.

photo Monika S. Jakubowska
Sławek: What kind of music you have grew up on and who was the biggest inspiration for you during your younger years? Among current big names of Rock who would you like to play on stage with?

Justin:  So many bands to name, but I suppose the doors and iron maiden were the earliest, and I'd love to play with Soil

Paul: Nuno Betencourt and Extreme lol

photo Monika S. Jakubowska
Kred: As I said before – Faith No More, RHCP, Metallica and G‘N’R, that’s what I started with. Then came Fear Factory, Sepultura, Korn, there was hardcore and punk scene, then I went into blues and stoner rock and stoner metal. Pantera is my everlasting love, plus such as: Down, Alice In Chains, Biohazard, Machine Head, Snot, Clawfinger, Nailbomb, Deftones, Helmet, System Of A Down, Life Of Agony, White Zombie, Newsted, Rollins Band, Slipknot. I also listen to more mellow stuff like Incubus, Everlast, Phil Collins, Morphine, or weird things: Primus, Mr. Bungle, Melvins. And Polish stuff obviously: Luxtorpeda, Proletaryat, Acid Drinkers, Flapjack, Illusion to name a few. I’d love to play among any of the above. :)

photo Monika S. Jakubowska
Patrick: Korn, Korn, Korn

Matt:  Metallica, Motley Crue, Skid Row, and Guns ‘N’ Roses

Sławek: You are not only the first British band that won our Chart but the first Heavy Metal band too. How do you think, why this genre is not so popular today as it was back in the ’70s, ‘80s and the first half of ‘90s. Why present day bands are not so successful like Diamond Head, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Motorhead, Black Sabbath, Uriah Heep, Deep Purple not to mention Led Zeppelin. Is that a result of a change in music fashion or perhaps rock is not as honest and rebellious as it used to
be?

photo Monika S. Jakubowska
Justin: I think the reason for the change in sounds, and popularity of metal is because there is so much the same these days, there’s no fresh new styles

Paul: I think it’s gone back to the underground again
Kred: I think it’s pulsating, one genre is on the tops, the others are withdrawn, then they swap around and fluctuate. So nothing’s lost, and guitar music will always live. But it’s true that it is harder and harder to become successful, mainly because there is more and more bands around to choose from. The key is to be honest in what you do and to respect each other in the band, other bands and all the people who listen to your music. Without it you’re nothing.

Lewis - ex-drummer (photo Monika S. Jakubowska)
Sławek: There were many members in the band before and we cannot say that we know all band’s history. Why Lewis disappeared so suddenly and was it one-time event in LynchPyn’s bio?

Justin:  Lewis had issues outside the band as well as within, as for the others, well they just didn’t have the strength to function within this crazy world

Kred: It was his decision and I respect that. You have to be willing to do what you do, without a passion there’s no point. I think he lost his passion. Bless him.

The 1st demo EP
Bogumił:  Not so long ago you have released your first EP, of which best reception had “Damaged Goods” and “Can’t Calm Down”. You are working on your debut full length album. Will it be similar to tracks we know from “Rebirth” or do you have some surprises?

Justin: Ah, now this question is cool, the answer is yes, and no; we have stuff written already but with recent changes in our sound, there could be some very different stuff on the way

Paul: Yep, some great ideas and songs on the horizon, it’s an exciting time

Patrick: I’m writing as we speak hahaha



photo Monika S. Jakubowska
Matt: I’m learning the set list and hope to get writing with the guys soon

Kred: I’m always standing for changes, surprises, not-so-obvious paths. My brothers are very inventive and I’m trying to implement different things into LynchPyn as well, some of them work out, so you’ll never know what’s around the bend...

Bogumił:  What is the strength of LynchPyn?



photo Monika S. Jakubowska
Justin: The strength of this band has always been the songs, regardless of line up changes and other stuff, always the songs have said what we are about

Paul: Yes, we have always concentrated on the songs and our live performance, so that’s our strength

Kred: My bandmates. Our commitment. And our honesty.

Sławek: Who is responsible for the most part of for the music and arrangement and who for the lyrics?

photo Monika S. Jakubowska
Justin: We kind of all fit the music together, Paul writes the guitar parts with Patrick these days and of course I write the lyrics, that’s my job.
 
Paul: Yep, I write guitar parts, Furi used to have many of the core ideas, but now we just all throw ideas in the pot till it sounds right

Patrick:  I enjoy the role of building the crushing riffs for the new LynchPyn

Kred: Yeah, mostly Pat and Paul are creating riffs, Ratt is writing, I’m just rumbling as loud as I can and try to energize the stage as much as I can. And Matt is trying to keep up with me. :)

Bogumił:  LynchPyn’s lyrics go beyond usual sex, drugs and fast cars oriented motives; perfect example is “Damaged Goods”. Justin, could you tell a bit more what inspires you to write?

Justin: Lyrics for me were always like painting a picture, and as much as I use my own life experiences as a base sometimes, I like to make them feel like they are from the listeners own life as well, point in question “Damaged Goods” is about my experience with cancer, but I have heard so many people say they have found their own meaning, which is exactly what I set out to achieve
photo Monika S. Jakubowska

photo Monika S. Jakubowska
Sławek: Your debut album – when do you think it will be released and how you had imagined it’s promotion?

Justin: We are hoping to release the album by the end of the year, as for promotion, well, we shall see

Paul:  We will be recording throughout the year, as we are self financing

Patrick: Yeah, it’s gonna be a big build up through the year, with some cheeky releases on the way

photo Monika S. Jakubowska
Kred: As soon as possible, I want it out there!

Bogumił:  Apparently you like to play for Polish audience. Can you tell by the audience’s behaviour that you are playing for Poles?

Justin:  Oh yes, those guys are crazy, they completely love the music

Paul: Yeah they love the whole thing, Polish guys and ladies know what they like

photo Monika S. Jakubowska
Patrick: They always have a great time

Kred: Yes, I understand what they shout. :D

Sławek: Would you rather play in London or in smaller cities/towns?

Justin: To be honest it’s not important to me where we play, just that we do

Paul:  I like the local gigs, London is cool though

Patrick: Just love gigging, wherever it is

photo Monika S. Jakubowska
Kred: I love playing in whatever circumstances and places, either it’s small pub or big arena. My only requirement is a stage size – I move a lot.

Sławek: Your official launch of EP in The Miller, London; Furi Forever; WOSP in Hull or other gig? Where have you played the best show so far?

Justin:  Ah for me it has to be the first Scala, followed by our last Northampton gig, the crown went crazy, Furi forever was extremely difficult for me

Paul:  Scala, it was totally amazing

Kred: Both gigs with KNZ and both gigs with Luxtorpeda, for obvious reasons – biggest audience and greatest reception. But I appreciate every moment on stage, I loved every single gig we did with all our friends from other bands: Sykopath Condor, Cerberus, Tom Ussher, Metasoma and many more.




Sławek: “I am waiting for that time, when it will not matter who you play with, where you play and for how much. I’d like to play good enough to fill decent venues and to be satisfied that we have played good show for thousands of people”. These words Furi have said in before mentioned interview. Do you believe that one day you will be able to shout in the front of thousands of faces: ‘Furi – it’s for you’?

photo Monika S. Jakubowska
Justin:  Yes I firmly believe that soon we will have that opportunity, to be able to dedicate to him would be a moving experience

Paul: Yes, we will have that chance very soon I think

Kred: We already did. And we will continue. For him. We’re just waiting for the thousands. ;)

Bogumił: Your EP is entitled “Rebirth”. For the cover you have used the picture of sculpture bearing the same title by American artist Dylan Guest, who liked music you play. Do you have ideas for your full length album?

Justin:  At the moment we are fully focused on getting the songs right and writing new material

Paul: I’m sure it will as eye catching as the EP

Kred: I believe it’s gonna be spontaneous. I have no requirements as for that, but obviously there might be something I don’t really like. We’ll see.

photo Monika S. Jakubowska
Sławek: Supposedly you can use a number of words in Polish. Are fancy to give us couple of examples?

Justin:  Well I’m actually learning the language, so I know quite a few words, ha ha

Paul:  No rude words?

Patrick: Kielbassa

Matt: huh?

Kred: I don’t speak Polish.




LynchPyn
Justin Lloyd – voc
Paul Cook – solo guitar
Artur "Kred" Mielczarek – bass guitar, backing voc
Patrick Joyce – rhythm guitar
Matt Davis – drums

Authors:
Bogumił Skoczylas –  founder of Radio Alter Ego
Sławek Orwat – creator of the programme Polisz Czart




Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz